By Toni Eatros, MS, Dipl Ac, AP
The most common reasons that people in the U.S. go to the doctor may surprise you. You may also be surprised that Acupuncture offers a great complementary or alternative treatment approach to every one of these disorders.
1. Skin disorders: Acne, eczema, and sebaceous cysts topped the list and brought the most men and women to their doctor. It is always a good idea to get any suspicious skin lesion checked out by a dermatologist, but many people are not aware that acupuncture and herbs effectively treat skin disorders by addressing the root cause instead of merely suppressing the symptoms.
2. Osteoarthritis and joint disorders, aka “joint pain” comes in a close second. Acupuncture effectively treats chronic and acute injury joint pain in a relatively short period of time. I have seen severe cases of golfers and tennis elbow improve 95% after the first treatment.
3. Back problems: Back pain is not only incredibly common but the eighth most costly chronic condition in patients aged 18 to 40. Back pain is one area where acupuncture really shines. Patients find that flexibility and range of motion is greatly enhanced and pain is decreased or eliminated completely during the treatment.
4. Lipid/Cholesterol problems come in fourth place. Acupuncture, herbs, and nutritional supplements effectively reduce “bad” cholesterol levels while supporting the liver instead of potentially damaging the liver with statin medications.
5. Cough, runny nose and sore throat are common and affect all age groups which brings it to a fifth place finish. Runny nose from allergies (allergic rhinitis) accounted for over half of the people in this category. Turns out 40 million Americans have allergic rhinitis and seek treatment for it. Many people are very surprised to find out that acupuncture and herbs can keep a cold/flu or bronchitis from worsening and will significantly reduce “down time” associated with this type of illness. The trick is to get in for an appointment at the first sign of a scratchy throat, fever, and chills. If you get frequent colds and flus, acupuncture will definitely benefit you. It is a good idea to build your immune system during the summer months, before the cold/flu season strikes. Allergies also respond well to acupuncture and herbs.
6. Anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorders: Mood disorders are a common cause of disability in people. Acupuncture is a terrific drug free way to reduce stress and stabilize the emotions. Children, teens, and young adults respond exceptionally well, especially when caught in the early stages. For more about mood disorders and acupuncture see my article in the May issue of SW Florida’s Health & Wellness Magazine. https://www.swfhealthandwellness.com/acupuncture-
7. Chronic neurologic disorders: Dementia and Parkinson’s have become more common with our aging population and bring many people to the doctor. Acupuncture can slow down the progression of these debilitating diseases. The earlier treatment is started the better. This type of disorder usually requires maintenance treatments on a regular basis to make the most impact on decreasing neurological symptoms.
8. High blood pressure comes in eighth place. Hypertension can be regulated without pharmaceuticals with a combination of acupuncture and herbal medicine.
9. Headaches, including migraines come in ninth. Acupuncture is a superior way to manage and eliminate chronic headaches and migraines. Acupuncture can stop a headache or migraine in its tracks. You do not have to suffer with migraines that last days, you can be pain free within an hour.
10. Adult onset diabetes is so much more common with our obesity epidemic yet comes in far behind skin and joint pain for bringing people to the doctor. Regular acupuncture treatments and the use of herbs can stabilize glucose levels and reduce diabetes related ailments, such as neuropathy.
Our medical community is fantastic at diagnosing disease. Unfortunately, treatment options are limited and usually consists of taking a “wait and see” approach, expensive pharmaceuticals that come with a laundry list of side effects, painful cortisone injections or invasive surgery with a long recovery period.
One of the main benefits of going to an acupuncturist for these conditions is that you will get a diagnosis and a treatment the very first visit. A series of 3-12 treatments will make a significant impact on every one of the health complaints listed above, even the chronic disorders such as diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. The majority of people with pain complaints find that the pain dramatically decreases or goes away completely during the first visit.
If you are unhappy with the choice of treatment or the results you are getting with your medical doctor, you owe it to yourself to give acupuncture a try. I am happy to work with your medical doctors to tailor a treatment unique to you. Check with your insurance company to see if you have acupuncture coverage.
2,500 years of medical history can’t be wrong.
Call now to schedule an appointment, 239-260-4566 or go to my website, www.AcupunctureSolutionsOnline.com for more information or to schedule an appointment online.