By LaDonna Roye, Hairstylist
Hair loss is not always as complete or dramatic as chemotherapy induced hair loss or Alopecia Universalis. These conditions usually require a full wig to camouflage the hair loss.
Conditions such as thyroid disease, diabetes, or hormonal changes cause a diffused hair loss or thinning on the top of the head. For this type of hair loss the best solution may not be a wig at all. Instead a “top of the head” hairpiece or “topper” may be what is needed.
“Toppers” come in various sizes and shapes. The most common rang from 2½”x2½” to 8”X10”. As with wigs, they can be synthetic or human hair, hand tied or machine made, or lace front. These hairpieces can be custom made to fit your hair loss area.
There are several benefits of wearing a “topper”.
1. Comfort: Wearing a top of the head hair piece is lighter and more comfortable than a full wig. When attached correctly you may forget you have it on.
2. Natural appearance: Since only a little hair is added to the top of the head and blending that with the rest of the hair, it can be virtually undetectable.
3. Versatility: If you like to wear your hair “up” the topper allows your hair to be pulled up or back using your own hair at the sides and back.
4. Added fullness where you need it: Whether you want more bangs, additional height in the crown, or to cover up that pesky spot on the back of your head that parts and lies flat, a topper can accomplish that and more.
5. Saves time: Many people find that color re-touches as not required as often because the top of the head is usually the first to show re-growth. Additionally, daily routines of styling can be drastically lessened when not trying to camouflage hair loss.
There are several ways to attach a top of the head hairpiece. The most common is with pressure sensitive clips. These comb/clips attach to your natural hair holding the piece in place. These hairpieces should be removed before sleeping, showering or swimming.
Another technique is to create a small braid around the perimeter and sew the hairpiece to the braid. Thus allowing the wearer to wear the hairpiece at all times until it requires maintenance.
Bonding the hairpiece to your scalp with medical grade adhesive is an option preferred by many. This works well for people who have advanced hair loss on the top and not enough hair to clip or braid the piece in. Bonding allows the hairpiece to be worn while sleeping, showering and swimming. This method does require maintenance after a few weeks.
It is important that you seek qualified medical advice if you are experiencing unusual or extensive hair loss.
After learning the cause of your hair loss you may want to consult a hair loss professional regarding options to camouflage your thinning hair. If you find a full wig uncomfortable, a topper may be just what you are looking for.
LaDonna Roye Hairstylist
12980 Tamiami Trail N #18 Naples, FL 34110
We provide a private, caring, compassionate environment. We’re sensitive to your situation and your unique needs. You have our word we will do everything we possibly can to help you “Recover with Confidence”.
Please, free to call us any time to ask questions, or schedule a discrete, confidential consultation with one of our certified professionals.
Recover with Confidence, a nationwide group of dedicated hair loss professionals, provides products and services to women who have been afflicted with hair loss due to cancer. LaDonna Roye Hairstylist is proud to be its local partner and provider in offering patients individualized products and support to aid in their recovery process