By Greg Pascucci
No matter how independent, vibrant and self-sufficient a loved one may be, the question of “what if” lingers. And never more so than during these challenging times. Senior living communities can offer the comfort, convenience and safeguards of a fully supported lifestyle with the connectedness and vibrancy of community living. But how do you decide which community is the right community for you or your loved one and how do you measure quality behind the scenes?
“We encourage older adults to engage in open, honest discussions about their well-being and future care needs with their adult children or other loved ones,” said Bill Diamond, Executive Director of The Carlisle Naples. “Learning more about the lifestyle and wealth of services offered within senior living environments can provide family members with tremendous insight into a loved one’s preferences, as well as provide a peace of mind for family members now and into the future.”
Diamond suggests starting with communities that have been accredited. Moving into a community that is accredited affords greater peace of mind that the care and services have undergone intense scrutiny by an outside, third party. Though federal and state guidelines don’t require senior living communities to be accredited, it is an important distinction in providing the utmost care to residents.
The Carlisle Naples, for example, offers CARF-accredited independent and assisted living. Similar to the accreditation of a university or hospital, a three-year accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) demonstrates the highest level of commitment and adherence to over 1,500 elevated standards of quality. It is an important seal of approval that seniors and their families should look for when exploring their options.
In addition to a wealth of supportive services and assisted living care, residents at The Carlisle Naples have access to a wide variety of opportunities for lifelong learning, entertainment and fitness delivered by ZEST® activity coaches. The community’s exceptional dining experience features chef-inspired entrees that range from savory to delectably health conscious—all of which are featured on an extensive menu that can be delivered and enjoyed in one’s residence or other socially distanced settings.
Here are few tips to begin your search for a senior living community:
• A good place to start is with your family members and friends. Ask them for recommendations and their help with researching retirement communities.
• The Internet, professional resources, senior directories and social circles may also provide helpful information.
• Compile a list of potential retirement communities. It’s important to understand the different types of senior living options that are available, and the types of services and care they offer. From continuing care retirement communities (CCRC’s) which require upfront entrance fees, to rental communities like The Carlisle which offer a flexible, affordable lifestyle with an all-inclusive monthly fee, there’s a community to fit every budget.
• Take into account location, the services you require and activities you enjoy, you can begin to narrow down the list of potential communities to a few possibilities.
• You may find working from a checklist—matching your preferences and needs to what is being offered—to be very helpful in the selection process.
• Take your time. You may take more than one phone call or virtual tour to decide is a community is right for you. Ask questions. View the activity calendar. Can you imagine yourself living there?
• While the decision to move will not be made overnight, it’s good to have a plan in place should your needs suddenly change. Now is the time to begin reviewing your retirement living options. Then, when you do decide to move, you’ll be glad you’ve already done the research.
Located at 6945 Carlisle Court in Naples, The Carlisle offers spacious one-and two-bedroom residences, weekly housekeeping and flat linen services, basic cable TV, all utilities except telephone, and delicious dining with daily, chef-prepared specials. For more information about the community, please call 239-221-0017 or visit www.TheCarlisleNaples.com.