By Dr. Alexandra Konowal –
- More than 13 million aesthetic procedures with BOTOX® Cosmetic (botulinum toxin type A) have been administered since the product was first approved in 2002 in the United States for temporary treatment of moderate to severe glabellar lines (the vertical “frown lines” between the eyebrows) in adults 18 to 65.
- According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), more than three million BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments were administered in 2006 alone.
- Ninety-seven percent of patients were definitely satisfied with BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments, according to a survey of approximately 1,000 patients conducted by the research arm of ASAPS.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic, approved for the temporary treatment of glabellar lines, is the same medicine that is used to treat patients with neurological conditions under the name BOTOX®. It is, however, administered in much smaller doses for aesthetic use. The approved doses of BOTOX® for medical uses are significantly greater than the approved dose for aesthetic procedure.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a simple, minimally invasive injectable treatment that creates a temporary smoothed and improved appearance of the wrinkle-causing muscles between the brows that lasts up to four months. Most side effects are temporary and typically associated with the injection itself, such as localized pain, tenderness, redness and/or bruising.
- Since its first approval more than 18 years ago, reports of serious adverse events in patients receiving BOTOX® have been rare.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic should only be administered by a licensed health care professional (HCP) who is well trained in the anatomy of the face.
Juvederm™ Ultra and Juvederm™ Ultra Plus
- The JUVEDRM™ dermal filler family of products, approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2006, is next generation in hyaluronic acid dermal fillers that provide a smooth, long-lasting correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Juvederm™ is the first smooth consistency gel formulation and is clinically proven to last up to one year. Juvederm™ is developed using the proprietary HYLACROSS™ technology, an advanced manufacturing process that results in a malleable, smooth gel that flows easily into the skin and creates a smooth, natural look and feel. All other hyaluronic acid dermal fillers currently on the market use a granular consistency gel.
- These granules can be seen under 2.4x magnification when compared to the smooth consistency gel of the JUVEDERM™ dermal filler family of products.
- To provide physicians with the flexibility to tailor each treatment to the specific needs of the patient, there are two formulations of JUVEDERM™. Product formulations include: JUVEDERM™ Ultra, a highly cross-linked for mulation for more versatility in contouring and volumizing of facial wrinkles and folds; and JUVEDERM™ Ultra Plus, a more highly cross-linked and thicker gel for volumizing and correction of deeper folds and wrinkles. Ask Dr. Konowal if JUVEDERM™ is right for you.
RADIESSE® dermal filler is an injectable filler for facial folds and wrinkles. It contains microspheres of Calcium Hydroxyapatite, a biocompatible, biodegradable material. It is similar in composition to the mineral portion of teeth and bone and has a history of safe use in dental and orthopedic applications.
RADIESSE® is used to fill moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, the creases that extend from the corner of your nose to the corner of your mouth. Once injected, RADIESSE® dermal filler immediately adds fullness to your face giving you a visible result at the first treatment session. RADIESSE® filler contains microspheres made of natural material called Calcium Hydroxyapatite in a water based gel carrier. Studies have shown that ~ six months after treatment with RADIESSE® dermal filler, there is an increase in collagen production to the areas of injection.